29 March 2010

Away with the Faries

I think an outbreak of common sense has prevailed over the weekend as I was using the LN's to chop and pare this English Oak I'm working with at the moment. I've managed to push the thought of exchanging them for something a little more exotic onto the 'back burner'...and so far so good, it's on 'simmer'.

No chance then of turning it into a raging pan fire?..we shall see.

The fairies got to me on Saturday though. I'd been beavering away (as you do) taking a fettle here and and a smidgen there off the mortises (with the LN's...) on the stool and managed to get the seat joints fairly good, which I was happy with. Paring 30mm thick oak takes some concentration which on some occasions, is sadly lacking. I then decided to go in for a brew and returned later feeling a bit refreshed and more relaxed. I'd already marked out the tenons for the cross rail (from the mortises) and hatched the waste boldly using a blue biro, so in theory I was good to go to cut them on the bandsaw.

In theory. The first two couple of cuts went fine, spot on the line on waste side...

Then the fairies got to me...you know what's coming don't you?

The next two cuts, two mind... not just one, were on the wrong bloody side of the line!!..the sort of mistake that and ejit newbie would make...

Hell's teeth and buggeration!







3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Easy mistake to make. I find that in addition to hatched lines, it's often helpful to put an arrow to indicate which side of the line to cut.

Cheers ;-)

Paul Chapman

John said...

These moments lead to borderline obsessive compulsive double checking on my part. Just when I think I don't need to, I mess it all up. I attached our media center lid with the best ray fleck on the inside of the cabinet. Had to take it off with a demolition sawzall due to the broken screws. The walnut inlays I put in to cover the screw holes were just the design element that big top needed though. Have fun with it.

Kari Hultman said...

Here in the states we blame errors like that on gremlins. They're everywhere, lurking in the shadows of our shops.....