18 May 2013

Gimme me a break!...

Sometimes stuff just isn't 'right'...end of, full stop, period.


























I finished the walnut cabinet on a stand a while ago and positioned in the lounge.  To begin with, it looked great and I couldn't see anything that looked out of place.  The cabinet itself was fairly chunky...as it was intended to be and the doors lined up perfectly.

Happy bunny so far...but the more I glanced at the stand, the less enthusiastic I became about it...it just didn't look right.  The colour contrast was too great, but the most annoying thing is that the legs (at 32mm square) are just a mite too chunky.

The more I glanced at it, the more certain I became that something had to be done.

So last Saturday, some more legs and rails in English Walnut were cut (well over size) and are now quietly conditioning in the 'shop.  With any luck and a following wind, the new stand will be a nice little project for next winter.

In the meantime, I have to finish off the current Japanese lamp by making the shoji panels (frames are already made) then repeat the performance by re-making the panels on another lamp (this time in English Oak), then make a curved door, wall hung cabinet in Oak...

Wish I had a Kit Kat.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I disagree. Your original posting shows pleasing dimensions and color contrasts. The stand enhances the cabinet. Masterful work!
Bruce Mack

Woodbloke said...

I sit there in the evening, having a glass or three of vino collapso with a few nibbles and I can see it out of the corner of my eye. There's just something about that isn't quite right when it's seen 'in the wood', especially from the side view where the thickness of the legs is quite apparent. Any way, the walnut's been cut now and although the new stand will be much the same, it may well differ in one or two aspects....

Chuck Jolin said...

From what I see in the image of just that small portion it looks well balanced to me, but ultimately we need to be happy with the result of our craftsmanship. I would love to see full photography of the project if you would be willing.